26 April 2013
I
cannot express how much I LOVE being a missionary! We learn so much every day
and we continue to grow closer as a district. I just realized that in my first
e-mail I didn't finish introducing our district. Elder Orullian's companion is
Elder Tway, he is from Colorado and he is smart. I mean SMART. He's taken
Spanish for 12 years but he counts the first 5 years as one because it was in
elementary school so really he feels like he's only taken it for 8. CRAZY! He
is very knowledgeable about the gospel and we get into these awesome
discussions about deep Gospel doctrines all the time. I love it! He is also
going to Trujillo! Which reminds me, we've been meeting a bunch of missionaries
that are also going to Trujillo, which is pretty exciting. The other two
Hermanas in our district are Hermana Foster and Hermana Gardener. They are the
sweetest! Hermana Foster is a dance major, from Orem, UT. She is super happy
all the time and she is a health nut. She's going to the Washington Kennewick
Mission. Hermana Gardener is from Eager, AZ and she knows our friends, the
Skippers! She has traveled all around the world and she loves studying
literature. She is going to the same mission as Elder Orullian, Florida Fort
Lauderdale (mom please fix my spelling =] ). The nine of us make up our
district. We sit in class together all day long learning Spanish teaching
skills from amazing teachers like Hermana Runyan and Hermano Morgan. We eat
together, we go to gym together, and we are growing so close as a district. I
think I might just cry when we all leave here to go our separate ways!
A
few cool things happened this week: 1. Meeting Elder Orullian's dad, 2. The
fire alarm, and 3. Nancy.
-Elder
Orullian's dad is an air conditioner repairman and he has been working on a job
at the MTC since we got here. Every time we see any repairman-looking person we
freak out, thinking that it’s him. Well, earlier this week we were sitting
outside as a district when all of the sudden Elder Orullian gasped and got the
biggest smile on his face! We knew exactly what had happened so when he ran
away we followed him and we all got to meet his dad. The fact that we had been
looking for him for so long made it super exciting to finally get to meet him!
-Think
about fire alarms. Think about the MTC. Think about what could happen with fire
alarms at the MTC. Now reign in your imagination because it wasn't that crazy,
but it was pretty funny. Right after gym our Elders were showering in their
residency hall and the fire alarm went off. Thinking it was a prank they
continued to shower and all but one of them were able to get out and dressed
before the man came and told them that they had to get out NOW, this was not a
drill. So poor Elder Orullian wrapped up in a towel and they all ran downstairs
and outside. Now, this wouldn't be a big deal, but we're at the MTC. Modesty is
kind of a big deal. They made him stand outside for 20 minutes before someone
noticed people taking pictures from across the street. Then they let him go inside
and get dressed. Turns out someone was using the microwave and it exploded, but
it really wasn't that big of a deal. But we Hermanas were dying when they told
us what happened!!! Good times....
-Nancy.
I love Nancy. She is our newest 'investigator'. Did I mention that after
someone is finished being our investigator they become our teacher? It's pretty
cool. Anyways, Nancy. I love her to bits. All of our other investigators have
invited us over and were expecting a lesson but Nancy was different. She had
been contacted by the missionaries a couple years ago but nothing came of it so
we decided to pay her a visit. When she opened the door and realized who we
were she tried to give back the Book of Mormon that the other missionaries had
left with her, saying that she wasn’t interested. But we asked if we could come
in for just a few minutes to share a message with her. She said she was busy
but when we told her that it was a message of hope and joy, about Jesus Christ,
she agreed to let us in. We got to know her a little bit and found out that she
is a single mother raising a boy and a girl and that she goes to a different
church. We talked to her about the Restoration and the Priesthood, the
authority that we have from God to preach the Gospel and we invited her to pray
to God about our message to know if it was the truth and we invited her to
follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized if she felt that it was
true. (And this was ALL in Spanish, mind you =] ) She said that she was
preparing to be baptized in her own church. That threw a wrench in our plans. I
wasn't sure what to say and I looked at Hermana Christensen and she didn't know
what to say but then Hermana Ivie spoke up. She bore the most beautiful
testimony of this church that I have ever heard. She invited Nancy to read from
the Book of Mormon and to pray to God to know if it was true and she promised
Nancy that if she asked, God would answer her and that she would know which
church to be baptized into. We were all in tears and Nancy agreed to read the
Book of Mormon and pray about it. She invited us to return to teach her again
and we left with our hearts full. It was beautiful. I know that this church is
true and that we can pray to God to find answers and that He WILL answer us
because He loves us and He wants to lead and guide us. I can't wait to teach
Nancy again.
Love
you all! I can't wait to get your letters! =]
Con
Amor,
Hermana
Grow
No comments:
Post a Comment