19
April 2013
Hello outside world!! I've decided that
everyone should serve a mission. Todas las personas en todo el mundo!!!!!
Because it. is. amazing. This was my first full week at the CCM and I couldn't
have loved it more! We've been teaching an investigator se llama Pedro, and we
love him so much. In reality he's just an actor, but when he's our investigator
he's acting out his own conversion story. He has a friend named Bentley that
introduced him to the church and he just wanted to know more. So each
companionship in our district had the chance to teach him four times. And it's
kind of confusing but it's like we we’re each teaching a different version of
Pedro, we’re each in an alternate reality where only one set of missionaries
taught him so when we go in he only remembers the things that we've taught him.
Was that a geeky enough explanation for you? =] But anyways, the first time my
companions and I taught him was on Friday and we tried to teach him the Plan of
Salvation but we were way too focused on our lesson and our terrible Spanish to
pay attention to the Spirit to know his needs. The second lesson was on
Saturday night and it was beautiful. Not because of anything we said, our
Spanish was still atrocious, but because of the Spirit that was there. We
didn't go in with a specific lesson plan, we just decided to ask what questions
he had and what we could do to help him. And we did. We answered his questions
about the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation, about the need for baptism and
the importance of the Book of Mormon. The Spirit was so strong. I think that
was the strongest that I have ever felt it in my life, I could almost hear the
words that I needed to say, I remembered Spanish words that I didn't know I
knew. Beforehand we had wanted to leave a Book of Mormon with Pedro but the
only Spanish ones we had were our personal copies and we didn't want to leave
them because we use them every day. But during the lesson I realized that it
was so much more important for Pedro to have that book than me, it didn't
matter if I had it, I could work around it, but Pedro absolutely needed it. So
when the time came I gave my Book of Mormon and that one simple act brought the
Spirit into our lesson so strongly, we were all in tears. From there we talked
about the example of Jesus Christ and the gift of His atonement and the
importance of following His perfect example. And then we did it. We extended
the baptismal invitation and he said yes. But it was so much more than just a
yes to baptism, it was a commitment to follow Christ and live HIS law, to keep
HIS commandments and love others. It was beautiful and I know that we couldn't
have done it without the help of the Spirit. We did our best to speak the
language and the Spirit translated it for Pedro. I know that with the power of
God, anything is possible and that we have to live worthy in order to have His
Spirit with us always, so that we can follow His promptings and do His will. As
members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we are
representatives of Him and it is SO important that we follow the Spirit so that
we can act in His name. It is SO important that we only do the things that He
would do if He were here because we do not want to misrepresent Him.
Another amazing thing that happened this
week was the Tuesday devotional. Every Tuesday at the CCM there is a devo and a
General Authority comes to speak. Usually it's a member of one of the Seventies
or some other auxiliary leader but this week we were blessed to be taught by
none other than Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I
had the chance to sing in the choir at the devo, along with hundreds of other
missionaries, but that guaranteed us seats in the same room as Elder Scott so
we got to watch him live instead in one the other rooms that it was being
broadcast to. AND we got to sing one of my favorite hymns, Nearer My God to
Thee, and the choir director enlightened us all to the fact that the song is
actually about Jacob's Ladder from the Old Testament (look it up, it's in
Genesis or Exodus, and then listen to all the verses of the song, AMAZING).
Elder Scott spoke about prayer and the importance of communication with God. He
said that God answers prayer in one of three ways: 1. with a warm, comforting
feeling that lets you know you're doing His will, 2. with a cold stupor of
thought that lets you know that the choice is incorrect, or 3. with nothing.
Sometimes God doesn't answer our prayers in either of these ways and when that
happens it means that He trusts you enough to make the right decision on you
own, keeping in mind His commandments and His will. We should be grateful for
these chances to act on our own and praise God, thanking Him for the trust that
He has in us.
He also focused so much on the fact that we
have been called of God to serve Him and that God does not set us up to fail,
He sets us up to succeed. He knows that we can do it and He has faith in us, we
just need to have faith in Him. Elder Scott also pronounced an Apostolic
Blessing on all of us that we would MASTER our languages and that we would be
successful. It was amazing.
I love you all and thank you for the
letters, the ones that have come, the ones that are in the mail, and the ones
that you are going to write when you finish reading this ;)
La
iglesia es verdadra!!!
Hermana
Grow
No comments:
Post a Comment